Question
Posted by: me | 2005/06/28

sugar

II am trying to loose weight, and eat more healthier. I just like to know about sugar usuage.I only drink to cups of coffee a day, with 2 teaspoons suger.Would it be better to use a sweetner, or maybe brown sugar.And also for porridge what sugar can i use,i read somewhere,that its better to us brown sugar, is that true.So my question is, what sugar to use, if i am trying to lose weight.THANKS YOU

Dear Sugar
Sugar, like other carbohydrates, does not actually have a high energy content, namely 4 cal or 17 kJ per gram. If you have 2 teaspoons of sugar a day this would equal 40 calor 170 kJ. Brown and white sugar have more or less the same energy content, so it would not matter which one you use. If the use of sugar helps you to stick to an energy-reduced, low-fat diet then you can use some in moderation without it causing problems. Just don't put sugar over every food and have more than 2 cups of coffee with sugar a day.