Question
Posted by: ciska | 2004/01/13

Suffiecient?

My friend is round about 8-9 weeks pregnant. She is very set on her weight. She is 1.66cm tall, 23 years and weight 55. She wears a nr. 8 pants. She is now scared that she's gonna gain weight because of the pregnancy. All she eats are those crackerbreads whenever she gets hungry, hardly ever and doesn't eat balanced meals at night. Some night's she doesn't eat, some nights she have only salads. From this morning she told me she switched to a little pronutro in the morning. She lost 2kg's and doesn't listen when I tell her that she's not fat and she must eat more regularly.

Is what she eat sufficient for a little growing baby of 8-9 weeks? I think that she has a pshycological problem about her weight and needs to seek help.

What can I tell her? What advice can I give her? And what can I tell her to eat, cause she said she doesn't want to gain more than 2kg's. The baby should pick up weight, but not she.

It does not sound like she is eating enough. I agree with the advice of the other respondents.

4
Posted by: Purple | 2004/01/14

You can also tell her that if she eats sensibly and healthily during the pregnancy and just picks up the minimum weight gain (at least 11or 12 kg's), it will all come off within a few weeks of having the baby.
She's got to remember that of the weight she puts on - about 3.5kg of it is baby, about 500g is placenta, about another 500g is amniotic fluid. Putting on 2kg is not even the weight of a baby.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: ciska | 2004/01/13

Thanks you guys. I appreciate your help. I will definitely tell her.

Thanks!

Reply to ciska
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/01/13

Just my 2c's worth. I had a friend that was also VERY concerned about her weight and the same pattern followed. When her baby girl was born, they realised that something was wrong with her little eyes and have linked this directly to malnutrition during pregnancy. The baby had to have one op after the other and today at 9 she is still not normal sighted.

SO, tell your friend to be less selfish and rather eat healithly now and pick up the required weight, than spend thousands on medical treatments thereafter and have an unhealthy baby. She made the decision to bring the child into this world and therefore it is her responsibility ALONE to make sure she gives this child every opportunity that it deserves!!!!!!!

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: www | 2004/01/13

Maybe you could tell her that she should start thinking of her baby first and foremost. I lost weight during the first 3 months of my pregnancy, but it wasn't because I wasn't eating enough. You should tell her that if she doesn't eat at least 3 balanced meals a day (nobody said she should gorge herself with fattening foods - she can still have salads and healthy food, in fact that's preferred during pregnancy!) she's going to deprive her baby of the basic nutrients it needs to grow healthy and strong and then weight is going to be the least of her problems. Not everyone picks up 20-30kg's during pregnancy as the doom-prophets would have her believe, but you still have to eat healthy and balanced foods at regular intervals and also supplement this with a good pregnancy multi-vitamin like Pregnavit that also includes folic acid which prevents spina bafida in the baby.

The bottom line is, she can eat HEALTHY foods, stay active, gain a few kg and have a healthy baby in 9 months time, or she can not eat anything, loose her baby or have an underweight or sick baby in 9 months time but have one helluva body. I don't know, if she cannot make that decision for herself, then maybe she shouldn't be a mom.

Reply to www