Question
Posted by: out of breath | 2004/11/08

Suffering with athsma

I am battling at the moment with athsma, and I was wondering if there any foods that could be allergens affecting the problem. Is there anything I can try cutting out of my diet? I am desparate for a solution as my inhaler doesn't seem to be helping me!

Dear Reader
I am sorry to hear about your asthma. It is, however, difficult to say which foods may be giving you a reaction as there are hundreds of potential allergens in foods and beverages. I can only suggest that you consult your dr and ask him/her to send you for an allergy test that includes food allergens. Once we have a diagnosis, we can look at changing your diet. If you just start to randomly cut out foods you may never pinpoint the culprits and you may also develop deficiencies without achieving relief from the asthma. It is much better to know precisely that you are allergic to sulphur dioxide (a preservative) for example, than to suddenly cut out all wheat or dairy products in the hope that this will improve the situation. So go for those tests ASAP.
Hope you will soon feel better