Posted by: J.J | 2008/07/14


Tell me about best medication and what to eat and not pls reply.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear JJ
Your medical dr will have to prescribe the most appropriate medication for your ulcers (for example Losec and/or an antacid). Stomach ulcers are caused by excess acid production in the stomach and if the patient has food in the stomach this give the acid something it can work on instead of attacking the stomach lining. In fact, the use of 6 smaller meals a day is a good idea when suffering from ulcers because this would mean that you practically always have some food in your stomach to prevent acid erosion. You should split up main meals into 2 smaller meals each. If you suffer from ulcers, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, very fatty foods, etc and all alcohol). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that you are not succeeding in changing your diet, then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) for an individual ulcer diet prescription.
One of the most important factors in excess acid production and ulcers is stress. To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.
Hope you feel better soon.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: bubbels | 2008/07/14


First I want to say that I fully understand what you are going through.

Best would be to get diet doc's advice or a gp's advice.

Out of own personal experience i can tell you to avoid all alcohol, cigarettes, fatty / oily foods, caffeine, hot foods (Chillies, Curry etc) Products with any form of acid in (gas colddrinks, etc) all bran flakes, muesilli and antyhing that you feel causes you cramps or pain after eating!

And another big thing chewing gum, as it creates more acid in your stomach because your stomach think it's getting food to digest but in the meantime it's not your stomach is empty and in the end you are suffering form terrible cramps.

As to the medication my dr prescribed me altosec that i had to take for a month after a while it wasn't better and I had to take them for 3months, if you are having terrible cramps and can't go to the dr you can also get ranihaxal from the pharmacy (it helps to control the acid), and then what i do when i feel i have pain you can use gaviscon (it's a bit expensive) so i use medigel or suspension gel get it from any pharmacy and then take a spoonful after every meal.

You can also go to a dietician and let them work out a meal plan for you

Hope it helps good luck on the road ahead

Reply to bubbels
Posted by: Mylo | 2008/07/14

Burning sensation beneath my ribcage,followed by nuasia,heavy pain.

Reply to Mylo

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.