Question
Posted by: Puzzle | 2007/08/11

Suffer from Borderline Personality Disor

Realised only 4 months ago that I suffer, and have suffered for many years, from Borderline Personality Disorder. I understand that I'm suffering from a psychoneurological disease and that I need to take medication daily. I'm worried about the side effects of Prozac (which is necessary in treating the disorder) because I'm sure that I suffer from Bipolar as well (so I'm worried about periods of agitation which Prozac can cause). I'm worried if Prozac is not the solution to the problem but may cause 'structural damage to the brain' ?? I need to find a pyschiatrist who specializes in BPD and Bipolar in Pretoria or surrounding areas. I have not achieved much in my life (I'm 31 years old) and I'm sure that I'm capable of so much but mental illness (and believe me, I've tried to help myself) has stolen many years of my life!!! My life is a mess. I have problems with my identity which can be confusing because my aspirations change so often...anyway, I'll have to consult a psychiatrist (best not to waste money on a GP) and move from there...thanks x

Well, highly skilled psychotherapy is probably best for a Bordrline Personality problem, and its not at all clear that any meds are solutions for this problem ( though obviously treatment with meds as needed for other conditions is appropriate, as BDL doesn't mane you immune from having other problems as well ). Bipolar does ned caeful medication, with a mood stabilizer especially, such as Lamictin. Prozac doesn't in itself cause any brain damage, but it might not be the best thing for someone with bipolar disorder. I can't kep track of the shrinks even in Pretoria, as regards what they do, and which special interests they have. Try looking at the public ssection of the SASOP ( Society of Psychiatrists ) website, www.sasop.co.za ( or is it org ?)