Question
Posted by: Jo-Jo | 2007/12/19

SUDDEN PROBLEM

Hi, this morning my left eye started feeling quite sore,almost as if I had sand in it. By this evening I noticed that the area around the eye was sensitive to touch so was the rest of the left hand side of my face. Also the area just above my collarbone had a lameless to it, I actually dont know how to describe the feeling. I am so worried that it could be an impending stroke as I have been through a very traumatic and stressful period these last few months. Do you think it is anything to worry about?

Dear Jo-Jo
this can be signs of a viral infection in the face (Herpes zoster or shingles) - please see your doctor asap! If it is shingles it will start making blisters on your face and you should preferably start taking antiviral medication within 24-48 hours of the blisters forming.
A Stroke or Transient ischemic attack will present with a numb feeling or lameness of the muscles.
dr Bets