Question
Posted by: nadine | 2007/04/08

sudden change in weight gain dangerous?

Hi doc I’m a 33 yr old woman and have always gained or lost weight in the same areas - hips and thighs. As of last year there has been a sudden shift and I now exclusively gain weight in the truncal area, and lose it there if I lose weight. Nothing changes in the legs and hips, its all in the abdomen and waist. When my weight is about 54kg, which I consider normal for myself, I have a good waist to hip ratio. If I gain weight, any extra kilos immediately go to the tummy and waist, almost straightening my silhouette out from the front and making it look like I’m pregnant from the side. My tummy actually seems to ‘puff up’ the minute I start gaining weight and my waist looks higher than it actually is. This is with weight gain as little as 1kg. When I lose weight, the tummy is capable of completely flattening and the extra weight on and above the waist disappears, which has the effect of ‘lowering’ my waist to its normal position.

I find it very odd that the truncal region is now where I gain weight. Is this normal for a woman after she turns 30? Someone has told me that 'male pattern weight gain' is what I have and this is a sign of trouble. I do try and eat healthy and I'm very good with going to the gym. But now and again I do gain some weight and without exception it all shoots to the tummy and waist. This is completely foreign to me given I have always gained weight - like most women - on the hips, thighs and bum. How concerned shd I be about the new weight gain pattern? All other women in my family gain weight in the usual hips, thigh and bum area so this is not a genetic peculiarity.

pls help

tnx

Hallo Nadine
One usually starts to get waist thickening after forty but if you are genetically inclined, you may gain weight in your abdomen rather than your hips at a younger age. However it sounds very much to me like you have more water retention or bloatedness? Check your fat % at the gym and see if this is not more water than fat?