Question
Posted by: *** | 2008/07/10

Substitutes for wheat flour and egg

Dear Diet Doc,

I have heard that you can substitute 1 egg for 1 tablespoon of Vinegar. Do you think that would work when one bakes? The other issue is Wheat flour - could I substitute that with finely ground oatmeal? I know that wheat reacts in a certain chemical way when you bake with it. I am allergic to maize and wheat, and in my experience, rye does not work very well (without ading any wheat, that is). Egg is also an issue. Thank you for your time in answering my questions.

Dear ***
I do not think that you can substitute vinegar for eggs, because eggs are used in baking for specific purposes, namely to capture air (whisked eggs or eggs whites) which make the cake lighter and contribute to rising, and as a binding agent - vinegar does neither of these things. Vinegar when combined with a raising agent like bicarbonate of soda will make baked dishes rise. Oatmeal flour also does not contain the gluten that wheat flour contains which make cakes and other baked goods rise. For recipes that avoid the offending foods, you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za .
Hope you can find a solution.