Question
Posted by: KR | 2005/12/13

Sub fertile

We have been tryig for 11 months,
My husband has had a sperm test done 5/06/05,his results where 9% normal, the DR said that 15% should be normal hereby declaring him sub fertile.I have had a regular period all my life(on or off the pill) To make matters worse, I have not been ovulating, for the past 4 months, my period has been 3 weeks late every month. I have been for hormone tests which came out fine. We need advise desporatly. What dose sub fertile mean for us?How do we improve his fertility? What could be wrong with me ?We are loosing hope every month.Please help

Dear KR

It is rather difficult to modify sperm morphlogy and therefore the 9% normal sperm may be difficult to rectify. However, despite this, it is not uncommon with men with this kind of abnormalities to father children by natural means.
This depends to some extent on the absolute sperm count and other parameters such as sperm motility which I have not been informed of.
The problem with your menstrual period is of more serious concern as it appears to be of recent onset and is not based on hormonal imbalance. However it would be interesting to see which hormone tests were conducted as there may be one or two rather important tests which could have been ommitted. In any case, depending on your age, ie if you are over 35, my advise would be to begin assisted reproductive techiques as soon as possible such as IUI or IVF, depending on the status of your fallopian tubes.