Posted by: lyn | 2009/10/31


my son aged 13 has been battling with red, irritating eyes. I got him drops from the chemist and it eased up. A few days later he had a stye in his right eye. after it went away his eyes were clear for a few days and then red again, now he has a stye in his left eye.

what causes this, what can i get from the chemist to treat it, does he need to see a dr - we do not have medical aid

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


It is most probably due to an allergic reaction causing irriation of the eye and subsequent infection. The stye can be treated with anti-biotic eye drops and if it does not resolve, it should be drained by a doctor. For the allergy, he can use Deselex tablets, as well as Spersallerg eye drops. This is available at pharmacies without prescriptions.


Dr Anrich Burger

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.