Question
Posted by: Stutter-jane | 2008/06/18

Stutter when anxious

Dear Doc,

I think of myself as a rather confident person. But as soon as I have to speak to people I do not know very well or to, like for in stance, our director, I start to stutter on my words......You can imagine that I feel like a real "poepol" everytime this happens.. I think that I think faster than what I actually speak?????

do you have any advice how I can deal with this???

Check my other reply, earlier to someone nervous about public speaking. This is usually an aspect of Social Anxiety Disorder which responds brilliantly to CBT and possibly also some AD medication. The stuttering is due to the anxiety, and when you elarn to control that, which usually doesn't take long, then it will stop, probably without needing speech therapy