Question
Posted by: meme | 2008/01/10

stumped

i posted this on the bipolar and depression forum and would like to hear your opinion on this please

Last year i was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and my prognosis was pretty bad. at first i got depressed but learned to accept my condition and that i would probably die. I made peace and went for all the chemos and scans etc. I went for another scan a week ago and all but 1 tumor has disappeared and my chances of recovery are now good, with a few more chemos i will probably recover. so why am i feeling down about it? i dont understand it i should be over the moon with delight but im not, i feel depressed. why???

Hello meme,
Curious siuation, isn't it ? Part of the problem may be a matter of adjusting to an unanticipated change in your expectations. Congratulations, by the way, on how well you have apparently responded to treatment, and how well you adjusted psychologically to the realities of serious illness. But now, having massively revised your view of the likely future, you are advised that it may be very different, yet again. And though this has been good news, it may also re-inforce a concern about perhaps coming to expect the unexpected, reversals of fortune, and maybe also feeling scared to accept good news, lest you be disappointed again. Some of us prefer a gloomier outlook so that good things then become pleasant surprises, and there are less opportunities for disappointment. But it would be a good idea for you to see a good local counsellor, perhaps one associated with the Cancer ASssociation ( and thus more experienced with such situations ) to help you work through this efficienttly and then to enjoy this more cheerful outlook on the future