Question
Posted by: Wander | 2004/12/13

Study Guidelines

Please could someone out there give me advise on study guidelines. I am study Business Management through Damelin and since its my first time studying in 10 years i've lost that touch of studying do i read through the book and shorten the sentences or do i study from the book itself please help.

Liza's advice is good --- and it would require far more time and space than I have here, to give you the detailed advice you want. Surely Damelin provides soem study skills booklets and advisors ? They shouldn't be allowed to sell courses without providing study skills counselling. And yes, it is usually valuable to read the textbooks first, and then highlight important phrases, and also to produce your own summary, in your own words, which not only helps you to study for exams, but, where you find it hard to summarize something, you pobably don't understand that bit, and thus you identify where you need further study, further reading, or to discuss it with a tutor.

2
Posted by: Teacher | 2004/12/13

Hi Wander
Also remember to study at the times you feel you are fresh & can concerntrate.Some people prefer to study early in the morning...after a good nights sleeps
Do what you prefer!

Reply to Teacher
Posted by: Liza | 2004/12/13

I always summarize - with different colour pens. Then I go through the textbook again to make sure I didn't miss anything. After that I just study my summaries. Frequently paraphrase things so that it is either more understandable - or much shorter. Naturally this is when I have enough time to make the summaries in the first place. With Unisa its great - since you have to hand in assignments. It gives a person a good idea about what is important and what not. Plus going through the textbook after receiving the correct answers to the assignments also help a lot. (Then you don't make summaries, you just underline the important parts in the textbook)

I'm sure they gave you a study guide? Working through that is good too. Usually that is all that is needed, together with the assignments. I only make summaries with my favourite subjects, or my most difficult subjects.

I'm sure some of the other students on this forum can give you some more ideas. Which I would also like to read and learn.

Reply to Liza