Posted by: Kay | 2010/01/21

Studies paid for by company

On Monday we were told that our company is restructuring. They are currently paying for my studies and would like to findout if they will deduct this monies should i be retrenched. I know they would deduct out of pension if I resign.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageLabour lawyer


If they are paying for your studies this is normally governed by a specific agreement. They would only normally deduct the monies if you do not pass or you resign.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Kay | 2010/01/22

The agreement I signed with them does not say anything about retrenchments but talks about resignations.

Reply to Kay
Posted by: Purple | 2010/01/22

Usually if you resign or are dismissed, then you have to pay back the studies if you haven' t completed your work back period.
If the company retrenches you - they have ended the relationship, so although they won' t continue paying, you should not be made to pay back what they have paid for your studies up to this point.

If you look in your company policies and procedures (on your intranet or in a booklet) it should explain things there, also refer to the letter or agreement you were given when they approved your request to study.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Whena | 2010/01/21

What did your agreement say when you started with your studies?

Reply to Whena

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.