Question
Posted by: Erik | 2007/08/07

Student Health

I am a student at university, and i would like to become serious about losing some weight and getting fit, and if possible, build a little muscle for appearance sake. however, i cannot afford a gym membership and i don't have access to gym equipment, such as dumbbells, etc. is there a cost effective, simple exercise program i could follow to achieve the desired results without the need for gym equipment? something i can do at home.

i eagerly await your response

Hi Erik

Body weight exercises can be very effective if you do them correctly. Things like push-ups, pull-ups (for which you would need a bar, granted), tricep dips etc are all pretty good. Of course, the variety you get in a gym makes it easier to do the range of exercises, but all you have to do is be creative and you'll find ways to train from home, as Fitness Fanatic is pointing out.

I'd suggest you have a look at the fitness page of the Health24 site and click on "programmes" and then choose one of these programmes to have a look at - just to get an idea of home-based training.

As for fitness, that is relatively easy, and it is your main goal, so your overall task is much easier - simple cardio training is the way to go. If you have opportunity and time, then a 20 to 30 mintue run is a good way to start. Any more than this is risky, for fear of injury mainly, but you can go longer if you build up slowly to that point. I'd say the programmes on the Health24 site will give a fair idea of how to do this as well.

1
Posted by: FitFanatic | 2007/08/08

Hi Erik

I take it you are currently inactive. It's very simple. For cardio you can jog/walk or cycle. 20min a day should do it. Then get yourself to Coke bottles or any other bottles for that matter. Fill it up with water until the desired weight is achieved. With these you can do Bicep curls for your biceps, over head extensions for Triceps, bench press for chest, shoulder press for shoulders, leg raises for Quads, Calf raises holding the bottles in your hands for calves etc. You can also do push-ups, triceps push-ups, sit-ups etc. You can get very creative with at home exercises using bottles, broom sticks, body weight and so on. Have a look under Health24 fitness section for exercise ideas as well as the Men’s Health website. They have at home training programs on their website.

Have Fun, be creative!

Reply to FitFanatic