Question
Posted by: Suzie | 2007/12/09

Stubborn weight - Duromine?

Hello Doc

I've been battling for 18 months now to lose weight. I stopped breastfeeding my baby in July 2006 and immediately the kgs started piling up. I went from 67kg to 76kg within months, without changing my eating habits.

I am 33 years old (height 1.67m) and for the past 5 months now I've been exercising every day for half an hour, and also ate a balanced diet with protein, fruits/vegs, low GI carbohydrates, healthy grains and water. I do not eat a lot of saturated fats, chocolates or refined carbs.

And yet I haven't lost a single kilo. I even had my thyroid tested but everything is normal. I am considering getting a prescription for 15mg Duromine to get rid of these 10 stubborn kgs. However, I have mitral valve prolapse and I'm on Zoloft for depression. Would Duromine be a good idea for short-term weight loss or should I rather not go that route?

Thanks so much for your advice.

Dear Suzie
If you have mitral valve prolapse and are taking Zoloft for depression, then it is not a good idea to add another medication like Duromine to the mixture. I would recommend that you discuss the use of Duromine with the dr who is treating you for your depression, to see if this medication will cause interactions and/or negative side-effects. The following side-effects can occur with Duromine (which contains phentermine as its active ingredient), as listed in my copy of MIMS: pulmonary hypertension, central nervous system effects including psychotic episodes and hallucinations, cardiovascular effects, gastrointestinal disturbances, problems with urination, rash, impotence or changes in libido, facial oedema and blurred vision. Your present BMI = 27,2 which is above the upper normal level, so it would be good if you could lose some weight. What is important to remember is that a) depression can either cause pronounced weight loss or gain, and b) antidepressants can cause pronounced weight loss or gain. So once again this is something you need to discuss with the treating dr - your depression and/or the antidepressant could be causing your weight gain and inability to lose weight. Do not stop using your antidepressant or take an additional medication like Duromine without your dr's knowledge. Stick to your diet, but cut out fat as far as possible and do your exercise (provided your dr who is treating your mitral valve prolapse has given permission??) and let's see what the dr says.
Hang in there

7
Posted by: Rienkies | 2009/01/12

I' ve heard that Duromine is very effective how save is it and how effective is it, does it really work

Reply to Rienkies
Posted by: Kiewiet | 2008/04/01

Kan u dalk vir my presies in afrikaans verduidelik wat duromine doen en die effek wat dit op 'n mens se liggaam het, in Afrikaans asb.

Kiewiet

Reply to Kiewiet
Posted by: khanyi | 2008/03/12

Good day Doc

i am 26 and had my baby 2 years ago and used to be a perfect size 32 but now i am between 36 and a 38 i am trying so hard to loose weight for the past year and dont seem to win.

i am planning to have another one soon but need to shed some kilos first

Reply to khanyi
Posted by: candy | 2008/03/11

Hi doc Iam currently 20 kgs over wieght and just cant seem to shake it off, I have heard so much about Duromine and would like to know if It would be ok for me to take it, sa Iam on Paxil, for my panic attacts.

Reply to candy
Posted by: Joy | 2008/03/10

Good day Doc
I have been hearing alot about Duromine lately, and i am enticed - I am 15 kg overweight, and am 1.62m tall. I picked up 30kg with last pregancy and still cant shake off the weight, i walk and try eat right, i am on Topamax and Venlor xr and was wondering if i could take Duromine. Please Advise.

Kindest regards

Reply to Joy
Posted by: Meliss | 2008/03/03

Dear Doc, I am 12kg overweight and on Luvox for anxiety please let me know if I can use Duromine for a short time in order to loose the weight I have gained over the last two years from being on Luvox. I am also busy weening myself Luvox because I am coping fine I have cut my dosage in half and in a months time will cut it againg into a quarter untill my boby is weened off it. But looking at the side effects of Duromine I am worried that that it bring on all the symtoms of anxiety again.

Reply to Meliss
Posted by: Suzie | 2007/12/09

I think I just got the answer to my own question... I did a few searches on the internet and found that people with heart valve irregularities and people on setraline (like Zoloft) should not use Duromine... Guess I should go and tackle the treadmill now!

Reply to Suzie