Question
Posted by: Susan | 2008/06/04

Struggling to fall pregnant second time

Hi There

I have one boy aged 2 and a half. Conceiving him was fairly easy, I went off Triphasil and 4 months later I was pregnant.

TTC nr 2 has not been so easy, I went off Tripahsil in June 2007 and it is now exactly a year later and I am not pregnant yet. We actively started trying (tracking cycle, timing intercourse) since Dec 07. My husband is a type 1 diabetic and suffers from anejaculation at certain times but not always.

We have had many successfull intercourse attemps this past months (I use opk's to predict ovulation) but I have still not fallen pregnant

My husband went for a semen analysis 2 months ago and my gynae told me that there is no problem with his semen, his results are actually good. My gynae also tested my progesterone at 7 days post ovulation and I was told it was 52.4

My problem is that I usually start spotting from about 8 to 10 days post ovulation and 3 days later full flow. My gynae have put me on progesterone for the last 14 days of each cycle now.

How long should we carry on with the progesterone, what would be the next step. My gynae told me he is not going to put me on Clomid as I am ovulation and that there is nothing more that he can do?

Dear Susan
The advise and management that you have had so far is perfectly correct. I would suggest that you continue with progesterone supplementation for at least another two to three cycles. Your next step after that would be to do a diagnostic laparoscopy as there is a possiblity of endometriosis or tubal pathology would be fairly high. Should the laparoscopy not detect any pathology then I would suggest you proceed with intra uterine inseminations or even IVF thereafter. The problem will be that of fertilization failure or embryopathy (early problems with embryo development).

3
Posted by: Pherlin | 2011/05/03

we have a son, but strugling with second?

Reply to Pherlin
Posted by: Pherlin | 2011/05/03

we have a son but strugling with second?

Reply to Pherlin
Posted by: Susan | 2008/06/05

I just wanted to add that even on the progesterone (Utrogestran) this cycle (1st one on progesterone) I also started spotting at 6 days post ovulation. I am now 10 days post ovulation and still have very light spotting.
I am 30 and my husband is 37

Reply to Susan