Posted by: Thato | 2012/11/12


Good day, I am suffering from obesity and have tried a number of diets. The one that appeared to work for me is the balanced diet with some exercise, I have managed to stick to this for a month at the longest but then things in my life happen and when I go through difficult phases I just can’ t stick to the meal plan and exercise, currently I am feeling really low and tired but there is no serious stressor that I can identify in my life, I have tried going back to the meal plan and just cannot last even a day. It’ s very difficult and the weight seems to be just piling up my BMI is 37 and I am finding it difficult to do anything productive.

Could you assist me with information or refer me to an agency (around Empangeni/Richards Bay area) that can assist me in this regard.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Thato
I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with your diet, but the positive part of your situation is that you are prepared to use a balanced diet and exercise to achieve your goals. From what you say, it seems that you may be using food and eating as a comfort or a refuge. Then again it is also possible that you are suffering from depression which can cause dramatic weight gains. Because both these possibilities are related to your psychological state, I would recommend that you find out if there is a clinical psychologist in your area who is prepared to assist you with what is close to an Eating Disorder. If you have a gp then you can ask him to refer you. Otherwise it may be an idea to ask at your local hospital or medical clinic. Otherwise consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will know where you can obtain psychological support so that you can stick to your diet and exercise.
Holding thumbs that you can sort this out.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.