Question
Posted by: Hazel | 2005/07/04

Strong antibiotics - strange effects

I started taking 400mg of Ketek. I became progressively worse so the doctor put me on to these antibiotics for a throat infection. I am also taking coldclear.

On the second day of taking the antibiotics I felt disorientated to the point that I was getting lost in a shopping mall! This was scary as it has never happened to me before! I am on no other medication. I also look like I have taken drugs - my pupils are extremely dilated!

I have to finish the course of antibiotics but I'm a bit scared. I also don't want my colleagues to think that I am on drugs because I looked completely stoned! (I 'have never done drugs). Help!

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hazel,

It is knowns that medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. It has been noted that this medicine (telithromycin) may cause various side effects that could impair your mental or physical ability, although not very common. Should you feel that you cannot continue treatment you'll have to inform your prescriber about the effects that are experiencing.