Question
Posted by: TSS | 2004/11/04

Strokes

I am 26 and already had 3 strokes. What I whant to know is what should I do to prevent it. The stroke effected my hearing and I am now hardhearding. I sometime get pain in my chest. I went for a test last week cause I had alot of pain, but the doctor said it was not a stroke. When I first had the stroke the doctor told me that my blood forms clunts and my vains fall flat. I'm drinking a half a disprin every morning, but can food also help?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear TSS,

Strokes can be due to different causes, and you do not say what the cause was in your case.

The Disprin you take is to prevent blood clots forming inside your arteries and veins. Disprin affects the platelet cells in your blood, but there are other causes of clot formation for which the Disprin will not help. Your doctor may need to do a clotting profile test to look into this if he thinks it is apporpirate.

Your chest pain may be due to something else entirely, eg it may be angina. Your Disprin may help for this too, but will not cure the problem by itsself.

Please try to be seen by a specialist. There may be other forms of treatment available to you, to prevent further strokes.

Good luck.