Question
Posted by: CARRLA | 2006/04/18

Stroke - wafrin - PI Blood count

Hello cyberdoc
Could you please give me more info on Wafrin , what is the normal / abnormal PI Blood count and if a person needs to take wafrin are there genetics

Hallo Carla
I don't think we have Generics in South Africa.
Warfarin (also known under the brand names of Coumadin® and Marevan®) is an anticoagulant medication that is administered orally. It is used for the prophylaxis of thrombosis and embolism in many disorders. Its activity has to be monitored by frequent blood testing for the international normalized ratio (INR)
The prothrombin time (PT) and its derived measures of prothrombin ratio (PR) and international normalized ratio (INR) are measures of the extrinsic pathway of coagulation. They are used to determine the clotting tendency of blood, in the measure of warfarin dosage, liver damage and vitamin K status. The reference range for prothrombin time is 12 - 15 seconds; the range for the INR is 0.8-1.2. It is used in conjunction with the activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT) which measures the intrinsic pathway.

2
Posted by: char | 2015/10/05

mymom blood count is 2.8 what does it mean? she is on wafrin

Reply to char
Posted by: Johnny | 2015/06/02

Hi I have taken warfarin since 1982 and recently the lab change my tests from PI to ERN test with a different window to measure the level and adjust the dosage accordingly. Need to know difference in the tests been done and how will it effect my "PI" level that is after the long use of warfarin very stabilized. My Contact email johnbray015@gmail.com

Reply to Johnny