Question
Posted by: worried daughter | 2005/12/13

stroke victim having seizures

My mother has been bed ridden since having a stroke in June last year. Shes lost the use of her left arm and leg.

Recently she has started having seizures. Please could youlet me know whether this is normal and what it means or why she could be getting them. I am very worried that these could kill her.

What can we do for her?

Dear worried daughter,
Your mom could be getting a kind of epilepsy because of the injury the stroke left in her brain. She must get treatment and must see a neurologist. Please ask your GP to refer her so that she can start using treatment. It could be dangerous if she fits and she chokes or can't move to help herself.