Question
Posted by: Sonia | 2004/02/06

Stroke Rehabilitation

My mother recently had a stroke, almost 2 weeks ago. It has affected her right side. She was in the hospital for about a week. She can now walk slowly with a walking stick but gets tired very quickly. Her arm is still totally limp since the stroke. When and if do you think she will regain the use of her arm. Her speech is almost normal and so is her face. How long does it take to recover from something like this? My father is taking care of her at home since she was released from the hospital, but I am worried that this may be too much for him as she cannot do much herself. Should she have a nurse at home looking after her? She is receiving physiotherapy at the moment which seems to have helped her to walk again at least. Please could you give me any advice or suggestions regarding the rehabilitation of a stroke victim. Is there any new medicine or treatments?

Sonia, it’s very difficult to give you a time limit as i don’t have all the facts. It might clear up within in a month, but there might still be improvement after a year (although this is the exception to the rule). The best people to ask whether you should get a nurse are the neurologist and of course your dad. Good luck.