Posted by: Bontle | 2011/12/13

Stroke Recovery

Need help... My parent has had stroke (last month), not on medical aid... Where can one send him for rehabilitation? (we reside in Northern Johannesburg... What steps do we take to rehabilitate him as well as physical care to give?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the area. You can consult a physiotherapist for an evaluation, in order to determine if rehabilitation can be done at home or if he needs to be admitted in a rehabilitation centre. The physiotherapist will be able to assist you with details of these centres in your area.


Dr Anrich

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Barbara | 2011/12/13

You will need to go to the old Jhb General Hospital, im not sure of what their name is now. There they will give your father the necessary treatment, depending on how long after the stroke it is, he could possibly fully recover over the next 2 years. I am speaking from experience as my husband had 2 strokes 4 years ago and after being totally paralyzed on the right hand side he is now able to walk, talk, dress himself and bath himself. It takes a lot of intensive physical therapy and occupational therapy but the chances are good. Just dont give up and dont allow him to give up, the rewards are worth it.

Reply to Barbara

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.