Posted by: Please help | 2008/09/30

Stroke and anger

I' ve posted earlier about the involuntary commitment.

My brothers wife had a stroke a few years ago at a very young age. She has frequent anger outbursts that can get very violent. She is on medication, but it is not working and she doesn' t want to go and see the dr again.

They are busy divorcing but are still living together because of financial problems. When she gets these outbursts she' ll break anything that she can, and hit anyone that is close to her (it can last for an hour or more). She often hurts herself when doing this. My brother tried holding her back at one of these outbursts, while she was hitting a friend of her, but she hurt her shoulder, and she is now making a criminal case against him. We are all fearing that she is going to hurt their 3 children, and they' ve begged us that they don' t want to go home because they are scared of her. What can we do?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Strokes, which may be of different kinds ( related to clotting in blood vessels or bleeds from them ) inevitably cause damage to the brain, with effets that vary according to which areas of brain have been damaged, and how well or poorly other areas of brain adjust and compensate for such damage. One possible result, which I know can be very had to live with, can include sudden violent temper tantrums. Medications can help to deal with this, but this requires a proper ongoing assessment by a neurologist or shrink, and careful balancing of the potential meds.
This needs to be discussed with the doc who assessed her and prescribed the treatment she is not taking properly. And especially as there is the issue of potential risk to herself, others, and particularly the children, the psychiatrist / neurologist may well consider intervening to protect her and everyone else exposed to her

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.