Question
Posted by: Destry. | 2008/01/23

Stroke.

Hi Cyberdoc, What can I do in an emergency to help a stroke victim? I know the warning signs, or some of them at least.I realise that most of the time, nothing can be done. But I want to help if I can. Thank you.

Dear Destry
1.Know the signs:
•Sudden weakness or numbness of the face, arm or leg especially on one side of the body
•Sudden dimness or loss of vision, particularly in one eye
•Loss of speech, or trouble talking or understanding speech
•Sudden, severe headaches with no known or apparent cause
•Unexplained dizziness, unsteadiness or sudden falls, especially along with any of the previous symptoms
2.Get the patient to an emergency room as soon as possible.

2
Posted by: Destry. | 2008/01/24

Hullo Anne, Thank you for the info. I think the proposed solution is a bit drastic though. I think giving the patient a Dispin and getting him/her to a doctor might help,but, as you say,we will wait for the Doc.

Reply to Destry.
Posted by: Anne | 2008/01/23

I received 2 emails this week with the following:

To diagnose stroke, remember the following: First 3 letters of STROKE which is STR
S - ask patient to smile
T - tell a sentence (patient must say coherently a sentence like "It is a sunny day today")
R - raise both arms
The patient should be able to raise both hands.

If the patient fails to do any of the above three,the patient is having a stroke.

REMEDY according to the email (haven't tried it though)
Prick every fingertip with a sterilised needle to release blood. I think it brings the pressure down.
(Cyberdoc can let us know if this is advisable - just telling you what the emails I got, said)

Reply to Anne