Question
Posted by: Kerin | 2004/11/24

Stroke

My dad had not been feeling well for over three weeks and was sleeping very badly. He colapsed at home and broke out into a cold sweat that he was dizzy and was unconcious. Rushed him to hospital and he was told to stop smoking due to the fact that his veins and ateries are damaged. Tests were done and this was confirmed by the docotor that he is to start watching his cholestrol and to stop smoking. The blood flow in his one leg is so severe that he battles to walk and on the scan it shows little blood flow through the veins and atteries.

Can this be reversed without an operation and correct eating and no smoking? one doctor says yes it can, the other docotor says the damage is done and correct eating and no smoking will only prevent further damage, but will fix the damage that has been done! Can he drive a car? according to my doctor he cant as he can have a black out at any time? Is this true? Can a disprin help? Is there any medication that he can take in order to reverse any of this?
Please could you give me detailed info as my dad has no medical aid and we need to know as to just how many medical check ups and medication is needed in order to assist him. I am concerned as when he colapsed the first time, he was yellow for a few days after this.

Kerin, you’re asking too much of me. I will have to examine your dad, have a look at all his results, probably do some more tests and then I might be able to make an educated guess. The best would be to ask his treating physician. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Sam | 2004/11/30

I just wanted to say that I am really sorry about your dad. My mom had a stroke five months ago and she can't walk any longer. She is also not on medical aid and state hospitals are extremely unhelpful. They treated her as though she had the common cold!
It is difficult to find help and I really hope you get it!

Reply to Sam