Posted by: ME | 2008/08/05

Strictly fruit and veg diet

Hi Doc - Again thanks for all your helpful responses.

I' m 159cm tall, I weighed 62kg at the begginning of the year and I' m now at 58kg, my goal weight is 55kg.
I happened to be on a 3 day religious fast of only fruit and veggies with no starch and drinking only water, the fruit &  veg quntities were unlimited... and I lost about 1kg in those three days (which for me is a lot as I struggle to lose even 1kg over 2 weeks).

After seeing the above results, i repeated the same diet the next week for 3 days, and lost another 1 kg, to about 56.7kg. But alas, I'  just gained another 0.7kg back the next week

Do you think it' s sustainable to continue in this manner say once every two weeks,to help speed up my weightloss, I would still have a normal weightloss diet as suggested on this website on the other days, but these hardly work for me ( I lose only about 0.5kg per 2 weeks, if any). I exercise regularly, on average four times a week doing about 20 min jogging &  10 min walking, plus a bit of weight training.

I' d just like to lose the last 3 kg to reach my goal weight by the end of August, I dont think I' m being unrealistic here

Dear Me
Thank you for your kind words - they have cheered me up no end. The problem with your weightloss is that your present BMI = 22,9 which is already very nearly ideal (a BMI of 22 is regarded as ideal - for which you would need to weigh 56 kg). As soon as a person's weight is within the normal range or close to ideal, the human body resists attempts to disturb its equilibrium and it therefore becomes even more difficult to lose weight. You can probably use the fruit and vegetable fast days to speed up your weightloss as this would only be for short periods and you will after all still be eating quite a bit of food. Give it a try, but stop immediately if you should start feeling faint or tired. Also don't force your body to lose more than 2 kg so that you weight is 56 kg otherwise you may put too much strain on your health.