Question
Posted by: dis | 2004/10/01

Stretching

Please advise if 30 - 40 mins of daily stretching is too much. I'm a 46 YO fairly fit male. Also I have a bit of arthritis in my lower back and although the stretching has helped with my flexibility I still get pain. Do you think I would be better off doing Pilates rather than stretching.

Thank-you

HI Dis

Yes, I think that it is excessive. Pilates would certainly benefit you in a different way. I don't think that you can gain more from stretching this long - 10 minutes is sufficient. I'm sure that the stretching thus far has helped you, but I think that the addition that Pilates will also help you. I would not stop stretching though, but you can pretty safely reduce the duration of stretching to about 10 to 15 minutes and not lose any benefit