Question
Posted by: lilie | 2005/12/12

stressing a lot last night

i have a bcom degree in business management and industrial psychology obtained in 1997. In 2001 i further enrolled with unisa and attained a bcom honours in industrial pychology two years later. however, i started working in 1997 as a teller for one of the major banks in SA. my salary by then was R1600.

in(2000) i resigned to further my studies (2001) in honours and was recruited by a government department on a contract basis, as an administrator for the statistical division. the money was not bad at all. the following year, the position was made permanent and i still hold it to date. i am grateful but feels that im in the wrong job, working with the statistics - while my desire is to be in the human resources field.

throughout this period i applied for HR post but was not successful. however, i never lost hope and continued applying. Also, i wanted to work as a psychometrist but could get a psychologist to train me. some were very busy with PHD and others already had students to train or did not qualify according to HPCSA rules.

last week i attended an interview for internship in human resoureces in another government department. i was very confident and presented myself very well. im so happy and await their response. however, theres one small problem.

i currently earn a gross salary of R7500 pm and what they offer is R5500 gross per month and its not negotiable. im a bit confused now. but i think i should accept the offer if im successful because i really need HR experience since i do not have any.

also, i will be doing something that i like and studied for. and theres a chance to grow as well.

my current job seems like a dead end job sometimes and after 3 years in this job there no promotion even if i performed well. im just worried if i will cope financially when i take the intership.

please advice and thanks for reading

Hi lilie,
I agree with FIO. Pity so many people in so many Govt Depts seem to spend years "developing a policy", and before they're finished, they move on and someone else starts again, so the policies are never properly developed, tested or even carried out. How appalling to think of someone in charge of an HR dept, with only the totally irrelevant qualification of a diploma in theology !

4
Posted by: blompot | 2005/12/12

Dear Lilie

If you can you must really follow your heart.

Companies don’t give enough attention to staffs career development – and that is sad, because good people leave when they don’t get anywhere

If I may make a suggestion regarding internship for Psychometrics – have you tried the Student Services Bureau at JHB university or the Career Development/Guidance departments at Universities. I did my internship at the old RAU studente diens buro many moons ago (just remember you don’t always earn a salary when doing internship). Another option to explore is if you could assist in psychometric testing of students doing their PhD. They sometimes need

Reply to blompot
Posted by: lilie | 2005/12/12

thanks very much for your responses.

many people who work here have qualifications that are not related to statistics and they are unhappy.

we have an HR division here and i approached the HR excecutive manager several times asking to be transferred to her division. she keeps on coming with excuses. the recent one is that she will develop a policy next year and then she will try to transfer me.

some say im a threat to her, since she only has a diploma in theology.

anyway, i will look at my budget to see if i will cope financially. im really interested in this opportunity.

Reply to lilie
Posted by: Hey | 2005/12/12

No wonder the statistics are a little bit haywire the past couple of years. They obviously employ people with the wrong skills to do the work.

Get into a job you like otherwise you will be unhappy the rest of your career.

Reply to Hey
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/12/12

First thing you need to ask yourelf, can you get by each month on a lower salary? I know its not what you want, but can yu get by on it?

If the answer is no, then you have no choice but to turn down the offer.

If the answer is yes, then you must go for it, because todays sacrifices are tomorrows rewards. you may be earning less money, but youare setting yourself up for a better future doing what you love, and when you love something and do it with passion, opportunities do arise, ones that will end up paying you a lot more than what you will be getting when you start.

Think long term, because its your future that counts.

Reply to figured it out