Posted by: GAP | 2008/10/21

Stressed out

I am going for my very first shrink appointment soon, on recommodation of my GP. I don' t know what to expect from this appointment and it is stressing me out no end. What will he do to me? I know he is the expert but how will he know which meds is right for me? I have already tried about 4 ADs, without any good results. And so far I have not read anything very positive about ADs anyway. They may take away the anxiety, but then have 10 aother side effects. I am not sure I am doing the right thing for myself as I am scared of the meds side effects. In fact I am just scared of everything to do with mental issues but on the other hand I know I need some sort of help! I am also not sure that CBT will work for me as I lack disapline and probably will not do what they tell me to do. I am in such a state and I feel so stupid about acting so stressed out!!!

Why on earth choose to get stressed out about this ? Shrinks are nice people, and skilled at putting you at your ease. He will ask you questions and listen to you carefully, to assess the nature of your problems, and then discuss treatment alternatives, presumably including medications and counselling, especially of the CBT format. ADs, IF needed, can be helpful and don't necessarily have heavy side-effects, especialyl not after the first couple of weeks. Your degree of expectatiopn of awful side-effects could be a major cause of that problem. CBT can HELP you to learn to have the discipline you need. You seem so determined to fail at treatment ! Why would you insist on choosing not to do what CBT or other therapy recommended ?