Question
Posted by: Stress Freak | 2007/12/04

Stressed out

I've just completed my first year ar university. During the second semester I experienced stress that was far greater than I ever had before. However, now that I am on holiday, it seems that the same stress extends into everything I do. Even when I relax I am stressed. No, its not my exam results that I'm worried about. Im not sure what is causing me to stress. Help!!!

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi there,

there are time where stress can permeate into all areas of life, even if it did start out in one particular area. There are certain things that are advisable to help you "switch off" your thinking, so that you can relax, as it is very likely that it is certain thoughts that you are paying attention to that are increasing your feelings of stress.

Spending time with friends or family can be a helpful diversion, as can exercise or engaging in activities that you find pleasurable. Making sure you have enough sleep even during the holidays can also assist.

Breaking away from stress is about taking care of yourself physically as well as emotionally.

If when you return to varsity you are still experiencing high levels of stress, I would advise that you go and see a student counsellor who will be able to do a more detailed assessment of the problems and offer one to one counselling and interventions for you.