Posted by: Gaully | 2009/04/08

Stressed about being cross eyed

Hi Doctor

I am cross eyed- the smart people call it strabismus.  ) It really bothers me because it kills my self confidence. Please tell me what are the treatment options and the pros/cons of them. I am a 19 yrs old male. Thanks.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Gaully
It can be fixed with an operation, you should see an opthalmologist ( eye surgeon) either privately or at your nearest academic hospital for an evaluation to see if this will be suitable in your case. What they do is loosen the muscle of the eye where it originates and moves it a few millimeters to adjust the eye - they do not work in the eye ball but outside of it. The surgery may improve the overall appearance of your eyes but may not improve the vision if you have problems with vision. Repeat surgeries are sometimes needed. They prefer to operate on children before 6 years but can operate in older people as well.
Good luck and let me know if you managed to see a specialist!
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.