Posted by: Pan | 2008/08/05


Hi Doc

Some history, i' ve been diagnosed with severe stress and anxiety and was put on a light dose of antidepressents course for 6 months about 2 years ago. It went much better, but the last 6 months has been hell. I' m under heavy stress at the office, which is normally not an issue for me, but we are also having finiancial issues. My biggest problem is that i don' t have anyone to talk to about my stress and problems. My wife doens' t care and normally just blames our finacial status on me, becuase it' s my job to controll her spending (ya right). I don' t have any friends because my wife alienated all of them. Sure someone will say just leave your wife because she' s not good for you. But that is also not the answer, because i can' t leave the kids behind because she is very unstabble and someone must protect them. Why don' t i go seek professional help, well because medical aid is depleted and no money. What can i do? I don' t feel like i function anymore. Just a zombie walking around.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

NObody should EVER be placed on " a light dose of antidepressants". If someone isn't properly diagnosed as Depressed or suffering from another specific Anxiety Disorder shown to respond to ADs, then they shoulddn't take any such drug ; if they ARE properly diagnosed, then the only correct dose is the right dose. Lower than usual doses are useless, and a waste of money.
Anyhow, your response suggests that the ADs were useful to you. But from the sound of it, what you really need is some counselling, preferably Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) to work on identifying the causes and triggers for your stress, learning how to eliminate them and how to respond better of those than can't be avoided. Check with FAMSA< which I believe can provide counselling at a cost related to your financial situation

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.