Question
Posted by: OvulationGranny | 2007/12/03

Stress, weight loss, PCOS - HELP!

Hello,

I've been diagnosed with PCOS & have been taking Clomid, progesterone & estrogen for most of this year. I recently had a bit of a melt down & stopped sleeping & having anxiety attacks. I've since been working hard on these problems - with some success. I'm still depressed about not falling pregnant (like everyone on earth who cant' fall pregnant!).

I've never had regular periods & when I went off the pill, I lost a lot weight (also due to stress). I've since been eating a lot & put on at least 3 kg - so I'm eating right, going to gym, not drinking too much etc.

My main question is - is it possible for me to ovulate without taking clomid? I'm willing to try anything. I cannot face another gynae visit or hormone tablets.
I fell pregnant when I was 20. I'm now 30. I'm baffled as to how I fell pregnant then by mistake & now I'm struggling. Must be age!
My mother also had PCOS & struggled to fall pregnant.

I had anorexia at age 14 for about year or so & was very skinny for a while after that. I think my periods were regular before then - after that though, things went a bit wobbly. I have not had an eating disorder for the last 15 years - so it should have fixed itself by now?
My periods are very light - is this a problem?

Thank you very much in advance for you answer,
OvulationGranny

While it is possible that you may ovulate on your own, it is unlikely given this history. Even if you ovulate once every 3-4 months, this would drastically reduce the chance of falling pregnant. The PCOS is not related to your previous eating disorder. Light periods per se are not a probelm, but may indicate that you are not ovulating.

3
Posted by: lisa | 2008/01/03

Please help... After numerous visits to GP's and Specialists and eventually a nervous breakdown they have diagonsed me with PCOS. I was put on Glucophage once again and it makes me feel very ill so therefore i have stopped it. So at the moment im not on any medication for PCOS. What should i be taking???

Im sick and tired of feeling sick and tired...

Reply to lisa
Posted by: OvulationGranny | 2007/12/12

Thank you Dee - for your help - it helps to know there are others going through this. I'll check my insulin levels at next visit (going to see a specialist).
Have you & your husband thought of AI (artificial insemination). That is starting to look good to me!

Thank you too Gynaedoc - AI is starting to look like the way to go.

Reply to OvulationGranny
Posted by: Dee | 2007/12/03

I have alot that i would like to share with you, I also have PCOS and have been stuggling to fall pregnant for 2 years now.

Firstly, not being able to fall pregnant is a stress all on its own, you need to take care of yourself. Go for a massage or facial or pedicure, take time out for yourself - get a good book, take a long bath or drink a glass of wine. I tried to stop drinking because I know its not good for ttc or PCOS (insulin problems) but its no use trying to live like a nun if that doesnt make you happy. I often have a glass or two of wine and I see that it just helps me to relax and enjoy life again. Obviously falling preg is NB to me but hey I need to live a little too.

Secondly my next suggestion is to leave the Clomid and hormones for a while. You are not supposed to take Clomid more than 3 cycles in a row, not just to give your ovaries a break but also your mental stability, i took Clomid once and i swore never to take that stuff again!!

Now what works for me is the following: take 2 tablets agnus castus (vitex) twice a day with Glucophage 1 tablet twice a day. Keep to a low GI diet and try and get to the gym at least 2-3 times a week. I also used to have annov cycles of 40 days + but after I started this regime it looks like i have ovulated every cycle since. Your gynae will prescribe glucophage and you can get vitex at Dischem. Try it i swear it works.

It might also be a good idea to get a glucose fasting and insulin test done before you start this regime and then get another one done in 2-3 months to see how it has improved things, you can do this at Dischem aswell. My insulin dropped from 10.9 to 6.1 in a month and my glucose is normal. Remember that if your insulin is too high you wont ovulate, you want it to be below 7.

My mother also battled to fall pregnant and she was never diagnosed with PCOS but i suspect she must have had it. it is a heriditary disease and you cannot cure it on manage it. I personally dont think that having anorexia so many years ago would have caused PCOS or would effect anything now. Congrats on beating that dreadful disease. If you are a healthy weight now then i dont see that as being the problem.

My periods are also very light, max 2 days. I think this has got to do with the PCOS. We have a progesterone deficiency in the second half of our cycle and I think that is why our periods are often so light. Prog builds up the lining of the uterus so our lining does not get as thick therefore we have only light periods.

Has your husband been tested? unfort we have a double edged sword in that my husband also has very low morphology, 1% so that is a real problem for us.

go to: www DOT ovarian-cysts-pcos DOT com, its an excellent website and gives alot of advice.

you are welcome to leave your email address and we can chat more??

Reply to Dee