Question
Posted by: LC | 2007/06/11

STRESS IN PREGNANCY (URGENT)

I am 6 months pregnant and have had so much stress in my pregnancy and I am worried that its going to harm my baby. I have some marital problems and tries real hard to stay calm, but it is sometimes impossible. Is there anything I can do now to relax and if it can harm the baby, what can I expect, I am so afraid of still born or some birth defects, and also have a complicated pregnancy with the plasenta that lies to low. I can't wait for my baby, but are so scared. Please help.

I think if you have been under "stress" since the beginning of your pregnancy it would make a huge difference at any point, like the present, to focus on yourself and more importantly your baby. If you have had a normal fetal anomaly scan at 20-22w then you can be assured that your baby has most likely got no obvious or gross physical abnormality/ "birth defects". No person can predict a stillborn but you should take note of your baby's movements daily because if the are decreased then you may need to see your gyn. Having a low placenta early in your pregnancy may not be so for the rest of your pregnancy. You need to have regular scans to monitor your placents position.
Being afraid especially with no support or little support from your husband may be contributory to an already emotionally charged situation. Allow yourself to find inner strength because you have come this far. You may well be amzed with the support from your friends, colleagues and family to help you through this trying time.
A positive sign is that you are aware of your baby which is a step in the right direction.