Question
Posted by: wolf | 2006/04/21

stress fracture

My 15 year old son has recently had MRI's that show a stress fracture (5thvert). Not sure what caused it but he had been doing strength training and baseball workouts (pitcher) for the past 5 months ( fairly intense training). All of this "training" was for baseball and now the Ortho. has said he will probably need at least 6 weeks of doing nothing. This of course is driving him up a wall. Anybody else familiar with this. Any suggestions what if anything he can do in the interim. Is it always 6 weeks?

Thanks,

Hi Wolf

I suspect that this problem is caused by repeated loading AT THE SAME TIME as he is going through a growth phase. Interestingly, this is the same thing that happened to Mfuneko Ngam (the cricket player, if you follow the sport) and can really be a problem. It's such a big issue in cricket players, in fact, that there are moves to try to have fast bowling at schools banned! So the problem, to sum up, is that young players are asking more of their 'skeletons' than they can handle, and unfortunately, your son seems to have fallen into this situation. The treatment he is receiving is also seemingly very good and that means that he really does need six weeks off. He can look at other sports in the meantime - perhaps he can cycle, or swim. I do think that he needs to be very very careful though, because the damage can easily become long lasting - therefore, and I know this is making it seem more simple than it is, he must do exactly what he is told to in order to get to full recovery

1
Posted by: Jean | 2006/04/24

Well to be honest I would say force him to take the 6 weeks at minimum!!! I currently have an injury which I had occured 4 months ago. That wasn't even a stress fracture... Was getting very close to being 1 though. I'm currently training, then missing training etc etc. because of the constant pain after training. I know how it feels. I'm 18 doing judo, very physical.
Tell him I say goodluck!
Jean

Reply to Jean