Question
Posted by: wolf | 2006/04/21

stress fracture

My 15 year old son has recently had MRI's that show a stress fracture 5thvert. Not sure what caused it but he had been doing strength training and baseball workouts (pitcher) for the past 5 months. All his training was for baseball and now the Ortho. has said he will need at least 6 weeks of doing nothing. This of course is driving him up a wall. Anybody else familiar with this. Any suggestions what if anything to do in the interim ? When can he start playing again?

thanks,

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Wolf
I suggest you keep him from doing high impact exercise for at leat 6 weeks. Please contact a bio-kineticist or physio therapist who can give you interim exercises that will not put any strain on his back.