Question
Posted by: Deurmekaar! | 2004/12/09

Stress and my diet.

Hallo Daar!
I am an 18 year old girl whom is very confused. ive been on a diet for the past 2 years. I lost a very hard 20 kg's. Dont worry- the diet was specially worked out by a very succesful doctor that has done exclusive research about this topic. Recently I just finished my final exams and stress overflowed my vains. During the exams i kept to my normal eating habits as tought to me by the doctor but I still picked up 10 kg's. I cant understand why. Can stress make you pick up weight? What can I do to reverse it?

Dear Deurmekaar
Stress may activate the adrenal gland to produce corticosteroids which can influence weigh gain, but I am wondering if you did not gain that weight because you imperceptibly started eating more than normal? Another factor that is related to stress, is depression which can in turn result in weight gain. If your previous diet worked well then go back to it. It may also be a good idea to have a medical checkup just to make sure that you don't have an underlying problem (hormonal imbalances, etc). Start doing regular exercise every day for 30 min and your weight will decrease again.
Hang in there