Question
Posted by: charlene | 2004/01/14

stress and diet

I lead a very stressful lifestyle, I'm single and has very little time to go shopping or prepare proper meals. I live on take-away foods and various bottles of vitamin supplements. What advice can you give me?

Dear Charlene
I would suggest that you start a strict regimen of planning re: a) Food purchases - make a list of all the foods you require for a healthy balanced diet for a period of 1 week (milk, yoghurt, eggs, breakfast cereals, lean cold meat, canned fish, fruit, vegetables, bread, crackers, pasta, etc) b) purchase these foods once a week and plan what you are going to eat the day before, then do any preparations you may require, e.g. breakfast could consist of fruit juice, muesli or oats and milk, a slice of toast and a piece of cheese (no preparation required); lunch could consist of fruit (fresh or dried), wholewheat sandwiches or Provitas with lean, cold meat cuts and a salad (purchase from Woolworths ready-made) and yoghurt - minimal preparation required; supper - tinned tuna with pasta and canned tomato and onion sauce with fruit and ready-to eat salad or cooked, frozen mixed veg - minimal preparation required - all you need to do is cook the pasta and the veg which can be done in a microwave and only takes a few minutes. Healthy eating is possible if you plan carefully and make use of healthy ready-to-eat foods instead of fat-rich takeaways.