Question
Posted by: caroline | 2005/07/12

stress

Hi I am 49yrs old I have had alot of stress over the past 2 years I oftern thought my life was not worth livimg but I did seek help and was put on medication and when everything seemed to be going alright it happens again.
Well I am off medication now and the problem is still there. I have just realise that my husband is the problem i feel i do not want to be married anymore and we very rarely have sex mainly because i am not intersted but he has alot of anger in him and seems to get angry alot quicker these days i now i want to make a change put because i have been a housewife for many years feel i cannot go out into the world and survive but i do want to give it i try but getting the guts to do it is another thing.

Often what we're suffering from is a combination of two types of matters needing different attention --- one is that there are problems within our lifestyle --- companions, partners, whatever --- which need attention in the form of counselling to sort out our behaviours and attitudes so as to be able to live far more comfortably ; and chemical imbalances within our nervous system, some of which arise spontaneously or mysteriously, and some of which are unhelpful responses to the interpersonal problems ---and these need attention in the form of medications.
You're describing a situation in which medication was helpful but chouldn't complete the necessary job because the other components of the problems were not dealt with. Marriage counselling, for instance, could help both you and your husband, and perhaps medication, though this would become clearer after the other issues were being dealt with. And marriage counselling doesn't necessarily mean just patching things up to try and make a couple stay together, but can also enable them to make a more sensible and reasonable decision about whether or not to part, and if they do so decide, to understand themselves and each other better, so they can part more healthily and with a lesser chance of repeating the same mistakes in the future.

1
Posted by: waterblom | 2005/07/13

Maybe you should go back to your medication, it will help you to see things in a new light. When one is depressed or stressed out your mind plays very funny games with you, this could be so in your case to.
I hope you get better soon.

Reply to waterblom