Question
Posted by: Rob | 2005/12/03

Street Tough or JKD high performance?

hi,

I really want to start self defence but i am at a crossroads, i dont know which gym to train at. I have done alot of research and i have nailed it down to 2 gyms, either Street Tough (Rodney King) or JKD high performance street fighting (Morne Swanepoel).

Both gyms come highly recommended and have international accolades. I could try both gyms out but I do not have the time for that and I would hate to start at a gym only to leave it for the other one (I try to be loyal).

If anyone has any advice please let me know.

PS. I do know that the resident expert, Morne, is the president of JKD high performance street fighting but please be unbiased.

Expert ImageSelf defence expert

HI Rob,

Thank you for posting on the forum. This is like purchasing a new vehicle and you don't know which one to go for :-). It is of great help that you have done some homework before the time. I would strongly suggest you take your time and book a free lesson with each group to experience the training and coaching first hand. It is important you find the best place that suits your needs and compliments you as a person. I am confident that you will have a great time at both. Looking forward hearing from you.

Kindest Regards
Morné
www.jkd.co.za

1
Posted by: ENLIGHTENED | 2005/12/07

SORRY, I CANT SPEAK FOR STREET TOUGH AS I KNOW NOTHING OF THEM, BUT I STARTED TRAINING WITH MORNE AT THE BEGINING OF THE YEAR, AND ITS BEEN INVIGOURATINGLY LIFE CHANGING. YOU BECOME COMPETENT STRAIGHT AWAY BECAUSE OF TYPE TRAINING YOU DO... IE: RESISTANCE TRAINING, MY DESCRIPTION OF THE THEORY IS ALONG THE LINES OF DRIVING A CAR, YOU CAN WATCH DVD'S AND READ ALL THE LATEST BOOKS ON HOW TO DRIVE, BUT YOU'LL ONLY EVER GAIN COMPETENCE BY GETTING BEHIND THAT WHEEL AND PUTTING IN THE DRIVE TIME.
THERES NO RITUALS OR FORMALITIES OR UNNECESSARY TIME HOGS LIKE THAT, YOU GET THERE, WARM UP AND TRAIN, AND TRAIN HARD. EVERYONE'S LEARNING, EVERYONE LEAVES THIER EGO AT THE DOOR AND EVERYONE WALKS OUT OF THAT GYM WITH A SENSE OF ACHIEVEMENT.
BECAUSE OF MORNES EGOLESS, ENTHUSIASTIC APPROACH TO COACHING JKD DOESNT BREED THUGS WALKING AROUND LOOKING FOR THIER NEXT BRAWL, ITS MEMBERS ARE CONFIDENT, APPROACHABLE GOOD PEOPLE .
LIKE I SAY I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT 'STREET TOUGH' BUT YOU WONT GO WRONG WITH JKD! SEE YOU ON THE MATS ;)

BRENDAN

Reply to ENLIGHTENED