Question
Posted by: Trish | 2004/11/23

Stray Kitten

Upon approaching my car yesterday, there was a notice stuck under the wiper on my back window as well as my front windscreen. It said "Please check as there seems to be a cat stuck in your engine." And indeed there was a little grey and white kitten with the most gorgeous little face under the bonnet. I didn't have the heart to just leave it there so I've taken it home but I'm not sure what to do. I called the number on the notice and the lady said that apparently this kitten was in the engine of a car parked 2 bays ahead of me and she had originally put the notice on her car. When the owner of the car came, she just flung the kitten into the bushes and it scrambled into the engine of my car so the notice was just transferred. Thank heavens that someone was good enough to put the notice there as I would never have forgiven myself had I driven with the kitten in engine of my car (at least a 45 min drive). Anyway, my question is - can you rear a stray to become a domestic cat? It used the litter I put out for it last night but won't come out from under the bed. It is eating and drinking. Also I live in a 1st floor flat and when I first put it down, it was running into our glass sliding door trying to get out. I have stroked it and played with it and it purrs but it obviously is sceptical about humans and not accustomed to affection. Please advise.

Hi Trish
If you are able to handle the kitten then there is a good chance that it will be easy to rear as a pet, with lots of patience and gentleness. Have it checked by the vet, vaccinated, dewormed and get some proper cat pellets. If you decide not to keep it then taking it to the nearest animal welfare is the best option - they will do the rest.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

5
Posted by: Paul | 2004/11/25

Aw...

Dante is a cool name!

Reply to Paul
Posted by: Trish | 2004/11/25

You'll all be very pleased to know that we are keeping our newfound kitty and have named him Dante. He got a good bill of health at the vet and after 2 days of hiding out under the bed, he has ventured out and is the most playful adorable little thing we could ever have wished for. Thank you for all your kind words and advice. It is my birthday today so Dante was an blessed, early and most unexpected present :).

Reply to Trish
Posted by: NM | 2004/11/24

Aahh...this is so sweet - we definitely need more people like YOU!!

Like Paul said, it IS possible. My ginger was also a stray...spent his first week in his "new home" under my bed. He did eventually start to explore a bit and I made a point of not making sudden movements when this happened (cause if you do they're back under the bed again!) Hold him, talk to him, play with him - and before you know it he will be all over the place. Enjoy him - kittens are SO cute...and you will soon experience this for YOURSELF!!

Reply to NM
Posted by: Edge | 2004/11/24

Hello there Trish. I agree with Paul. That little kitten is going to be a bundle of joy for you. You will see that it being locked in as Paul suggests will also make it miss social activity and it will soon be delighted to see you when you get home. Enjoy the bundle of pleasure ...

Reply to Edge
Posted by: Paul | 2004/11/23

The answer is a most definate YES! bot hy kietsies were stray and have grown up to be so loving and caring and tender hearted. The best would be to lock the kitty in a room with some of your sweaters (that youve worn) clean food and water and a litterbox (well away from the food and water). It will eventually start exploring the room then start feeling safe, do this for about a week, after that she/he can roam the house. The advantage of street cats is that they normally have awesome immuno systems and more personality than most.

Sis to the bastard that threw the cat into the bushes, heartless %#^& that will come back to him/her.

Thank you for looking after this baby!

Reply to Paul