Question
Posted by: Mary | 2003/01/14

strawberry tongue

Apparently I have what is known as strawberry tongue. Could you please inform me what the cause of this is as my daughter has it aswell. Is there a cure?

Mary, the term “strawberry tongue” (blood red tongue with white dots) is usually used to describe the typical appearance of the tongue in someone suffering from scarlet fever. It’s also seen in Kawasaki syndrome, but I doubt that you suffer from either of these diseases. It’s more likely that your doctor meant to say that it looks like a strawberry tongue, but not that it actually is one. Be that as it may, it’s difficult to say what the problem is without examining you first. The best I can do is to send you a copy of an article I wrote a while ago and then you can try to work out what the problem is. If you’re interested in a copy, please mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za. Good luck.