Posted by: Lynne | 2008/09/18

Strange throbbing

Good day

I am a 29 year old woman, have been on an antidepressant, first prozac, thereafter cilift,for about a year now as well as a few years earlier. I am also taking glucophage for an insulin resistant condition. I have a very embarrassing problem. For about 9 years i have been having strange throbbing sensations in my genital areas including anus vagina and thighs, its not a sexual sensation, it feels more like a nerve throbbing if that makes sense. I went to a doctor before and he could not really answer me. I basically just ignored it thinking it would go away. A few people i have spoken to have said that it could be physical symptoms of anxiety. I am going for a general check up next week, is there anything you could suggest in this regard.

Dear Lynne
I think you should probably get a thorough gynecological evaluation with a sonar of the pelvis to exclude ovarian cysts, uterus abnormalities, endometriosis, or pelvis muscle abnormalities ( this could be a deep pelvic muscle spasm). It could also be related to a lower spine problem - pressure on the sacral nerve roots can also cause these symptoms.