Question
Posted by: Tigger | 2004/01/21

Strange symptoms...

Hi Doc, I am approximately a week late for my periods (although, I can't really remember having them in December either!). I've been having the usual PMS symptoms for the past 2 weeks (tender breasts, emotional etc). I did a pregnancy test this morning (after drinking a lot of water) and it was negative - is it possible that the water diluted the urine too much and it didn't pick up pregnancy or could there be something else wrong?

I tried to make an appointment to see a gynae and I was told that she is booked up until May. Could you recommend a female gynae who practises in the Tableview (Cape Town) area?

Regards,
Tigger

I agree that the blood test would be a good idea.
You could check the Find a doctor section for gynaecologists

3
Posted by: Tigger | 2004/01/21

In response to Kate, I am usually pretty regular...I usually start on the 14-16 of the month, but I remember being on the beach on the 16th so I know it didn't start then and if I started later than that, I would have still had it around Christmas time - and I don't think I did...I am trying to get an appointment to have a blood test done, but (because I'm impatient) I wanted to do the urine test first...also, I'm phoning around to get an appointment with a female gynae (I don't have one) so that she can check me for problems like endometreosis etc. Thanks for the advice, I'll try to get a blood test done.

Reply to Tigger
Posted by: Kate | 2004/01/21

If you are not sure if you had a perod in Dec, does this mean that your periods are usually irregular. I ask this because usually if they are regualr you should remember. If they are irregular I would say not to worry too much about being pregnant and hang on a bit for your period to come.

However, if they are regular and you think it is a possiblity that you are preggy, then do another urine test in a couple of days. You could also do a blood test which would give you a more conclusive result.

Demand to see your gynae, this is not just a regular check-up and you may have something wrong. If you are already a patient of his/hers then you should be seen now. Only new patients get told to wait and patients coming for regular check-ups. Demand better service, recpetionists are too quick to say no to you.

Best of luck.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: ciska | 2004/01/21

Why don't you go for a bloodtest? That will definitely tell you whether you are pregnant or not. You should take the urine test first thing in the morning before drinking or eating anything.

Good luck!

Reply to ciska