Question
Posted by: kea | 2006/11/01

strange sensation in head

Dear Doctor.
I am a 52 year old female. I have severe asthma that is well controlled. I also suffer from severe reflux and under examination was found to have chronic intestinal metaplasia. The pathologist said a specimen did resemble Barretts but that the doctor was to decide. I took Altosec capsules for a year and it cleared up. Only after being off Altosec for a couple of months am I now starting to reflux again.
I am a non smoker, have never smoked. I also do not drink alcholol at all. I dont excercise. I am 65Kg not thin but not underweight either.
I come from a very strong cancer background: self = mastectomy, Mom passed away at 41 = breast cancer. 3 sisters=mastectomy, 1 sister = 3 melanomas.
I am in a very stressfull job and basically lead a stressfull life. Always rushing from a to b.
I very seldom consult a doctor. Two reasons 1) I only have a hospital plan 2) Always feel I dont like to take up the doctors time when there are perhaps other needing people.

Other than my asthma medication and my altosec for reflux i dont use any other pills etc.

I have given you all this info so that you have some sort of background to my position. My actual question is as follows:
I will try and explain as best I can, because it is difficult to explain what happened as I myself dont even know.

About 3 months ago I was standing in my office, not doing anything particular, just standing around. One of the ladies spoke to me. As she spoke to me, it was as if a switched "clicked" in my head. I could see she was talking to me and waiting for a response but I could not respond as something "strange" was happening in my head.
She could see something was wrong with me. I would describe it as being very gentle, and very short, perhaps a few seconds. When the sensation passed she asked me what was wrong, and I said wow I dont know have never had anything happen to me like that before!. I was shocked, thought about it a while, but then just laughed it off as one of those things.

About 7 weeks after that I was in the office, just standing again and it happened again. But this time very strong and very long. I dont know how to explain. At best I would say it feels like an electric current on either side of my temple, shocking through my brain. I grabbed my head, and could hear the other lady asking me what was wrong but could not respond. It is like you are too busy with what is happening in your head. It continued for what seemed like a long time to me and it was very strong. I could feel i was going to faint and had to feel my way down to my chair to sit down. As I sat down the room began closing in on me and I put my head down, just in time. The whole thing subsided and my vision was slightly blurred for a short while. I also felt hot.

I am emotionally a very strong person, but was really very rattled by this happening. My daughter took me immediately to the doctor, he found my blood pressure slightly raised. Nothing to be concerned about. He did a couple of blood test. Sugar, etc. All the blood tests came back clear.
The next 3 or 4 days after this, I found myself to be very aggressive, cry for anything, felt like breaking things in a temper etc. All this is very unlike me. I dont cry, I am although stressed a calm person etc.

This has not happened again, the last one being about 2 months ago. Do you have any idea what this may have been??
Much appreciated.
kea

Dear Kea,
If I were your GP I would refer you for an EEG and neurological opinion - this can be a kind of epilepsy or a kind of migraine or a warning of impending stroke ( called transient ischemic attack or TIA) See also
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4781
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/stroke/stroke.htm