Question
Posted by: Marietjie | 2007/03/13

strange question

Hi everybody,
My brother has a border collie, I think he is about 8 or 9 years of age. Lately I have noticed that his head has become a funny shape, full of 'knoppe' and his eyes seems 'sunken'. A bit dificult to explain...... he seems to be healthy, eats well, lost a bit of weight but not skinny, runs and plays as usual, but limps after too much playing and then we stop playing.
It feels and looks to me as if his skull shrunk?!?
I hope I am making sense?
Would like to know any ideas Cybervet??

This sounds like atrophy of the masticatory muscles - the chewing muscles has become smaller for some reason. Can the dog still open his mouth alright? Does he yawn wide? The limping can be due to arthritis that becomes more painful as exercise increases.

2
Posted by: Marietjie | 2007/03/13

I just went on the internet and saw photos of other dogs with MMM - reading the symptoms, some did not have problems opening the jaw but did have MMM.

so thanks, Cybervet!!

Taking dog Zeplin, to the vet off course

Reply to Marietjie
Posted by: Marietjie | 2007/03/13

Yes, he still plays with a ball and rope etc.
Haven't actually seen him yawning ?
What can be done if it is this?

Reply to Marietjie