Question
Posted by: Jin | 2003/03/18

Strange Phenomena

Hi Doc,
Please excuse me if this should be in a different forum, but I believe this is more a medical question than something else.
I'm a bit baffled about something and I was wondering if you could maybe shed some light on this for me. I've been married for about 5 years. I've never been someone who could last very long when having intercourse (5 to 10 minutes of penetration max), so I usually focus on a lot of foreplay, which satisfies my wife very well. About 3 weeks ago all of a sudden I started "lasting longer", for no particular reason it seems. When I say lasting longer I mean lasting a LOT longer..I can now easily go on for an hour or more until I reach an orgasm and I seem to be unable to have a "quickie" anymore. This is not a problem for us and we are taking advantage of this in many ways, but I'm just a bit baffled about why this changed so out of the blue. My sex drive,ability to achieve/keep an erection etc. is still the same as always.

The only thing different about me since 3 weeks ago is the fact that I have gone onto some rather serious medication. I have this condition they call "anxiety disorder", for which I've been on different medication before. About a month ago I went onto a pill called Aropax, which as far as I know is almost like an anti-depressant. One of the possible side effects of this medicine is supposed to be "sexual dysfunction", but I thought this meant a "floppy", if you know what I mean.

So my question is - could my anxiety medicine somehow cause me to last longer during intercourse ? The evidence seems to suggest that, but I would love to know how this works then.

Jin

Jin, it’s the Aropax®. The sexual dysfunction it’s supposed to cause is anorgasmia (inability to have an orgasm). This seldom happens, but it does tend to help for people with premature ejaculation. It’s not a dangerous side effect and as you can see, it’s often beneficial. Enjoy.