Question
Posted by: Jin | 2003/03/18

Strange phenomena

Hi Doc,
I'm a bit baffled about something and I was wondering if you could maybe shed some light on this for me. I've been married for about 5 years. I've never been someone who could last very long when having intercourse (5 to 10 minutes of penetration max), so I usually focus on a lot of foreplay, which satisfies my wife very well. About 3 weeks ago all of a sudden I started "lasting longer", for no particular reason it seems. When I say lasting longer I mean lasting a LOT longer..I can now easily go on for an hour or more until I reach an orgasm and I seem to be unable to have a "quickie" anymore. This is not a problem for us and we are taking advantage of this in many ways, but I'm just a bit baffled about why this changed so out of the blue. My sex drive,ability to achieve/keep an erection etc. is still the same as always.

The only thing different about me since 3 weeks ago is the fact that I have gone onto some rather serious medication. I have this condition they call "anxiety disorder", for which I've been on different medication before. About a month ago I went onto a pill called Aropax, which as far as I know is almost like an anti-depressant. One of the possible side effects of this medicine is supposed to be "sexual dysfunction", but I thought this meant a "floppy", if you know what I mean.

So my question is - could my anxiety medicine somehow cause me to last longer during intercourse ? The evidence seems to suggest that, but I would love to know how this works then.

Jin

How Aropax helps

Aropax helps in the treatment of depression and anxiety disorders by correcting the chemical imbalances in the brain that are thought to cause these disorders.
How Aropax works

Aropax belongs to a group of medicines called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). They are thought to work by their action on brain chemicals which are involved in controlling mood.

Depression is longer lasting or more severe than 'low moods' that everyone has from time to time. It is thought to be caused by a chemical imbalance in parts of the brain. This imbalance affects your whole body and can cause emotional and physical symptoms. Aropax corrects the chemical imbalance and so helps relieve the symptoms of depression.

Aropax may also be used to treat anxiety disorders, such as
obsessive compulsive disorder (irrational fears or obsessional behaviour)
panic attacks (sudden feelings of intense terror)
social anxiety disorder (fear or avoidance of social situations)
generalised anxiety disorder (constant worry about all sorts of things and expecting the worst)
These disorders can also be due to a chemical imbalance in parts of the brain.

Your doctor may decide that you should continue to use Aropax for some time, even when you have overcome your problem. This should prevent the problem from returning.

Your doctor may have prescribed Aropax for another use. Ask your doctor if you have questions about why Aropax has been prescribed for you.

There is no evidence that Aropax is addictive.
While you are using Aropax

Things You Must Do:

Check with your doctor, pharmacist or dentist before taking any other medicines. This includes medicines that you buy without a prescription (from a pharmacy, supermarkets, or health food shop), as well as prescribed medicines.
Things To Be Careful Of:

Driving or operating machinery until you know how Aropax affects you.

Although drinking moderate amounts of alcohol is unlikely to affect your response to Aropax, it is best to avoid alcohol while you are taking this medicine.

When your doctor decides that you should stop taking Aropax the dose may be reduced slowly or the time between doses increased over 1 or 2 weeks. Some people may have symptoms such as dizziness, anxiety, sleep disturbances, pins and needles or electric shock sensations if Aropax is stopped suddenly. However, there is no evidence that Aropax is addictive.

Do not take monoamine oxidase inhibitor antidepressants (MAOIs) until 2 weeks after you stop taking Aropax. Examples of MAOIs include phenelzine (NardilTM ) and tranylcypromine (ParnateTM ). There may be others so please check with your doctor or pharmacist.

Some medication can cause a delayed ejaculation or anejaculation (no ejaculation), so it seems that you are experiencing delayed ejaculation. This is quite normal for someone on Aropax.